08 June, 2006

Quandry

Hockey Players and Fans are notoriously superstitious.
I have a part time gig as an Ice Resurfacing Technician (Zamboni driver) at the local ice areana where my children take hockey lessons and my wife plays on a MAWHL team, where, it turns out NBC will be shooting a promo for the current Stanley Cup Finals (BTW if Carolina wins, it will be because they hurt the other teams). Now, it is unclear at this time whether the Stanley Cup
will be present or not.
Here's my quandry: My wife will be at work and unable to get there, my older child will be on a field trip and unable to get there, myself and my youngest (more hockey oriented child) will be at home and able to go. I have been a hockey fan for as long as I can remember. I have played with the notion of being a fan, serious, of another sport but it just has happened, despite the efforts of the Bills in the 90s. I have never seen the Stanley Cup. The question that keeps popping in my head is this, Did the Sabres lose and have they lost every time BECAUSE I have never seen the Cup? hmm that's a tricky one.
The bigger question is: If I find out that the Cup will be at the arena, do I go?
There are many hockey players who won't touch the Cup unless they win it. There are even a number who have never seen it, for fear they then won't be able to win it. I dare say that there are even a few who have never seen it or touched it despite the fact that they have not played hockey in decades. I doubt, but not strongly, that my seeing or touching the Cup will have any effect on the Sabres. But why take the chance?
On the other hand it would be a HUGE thrill to see it, especially on ice that I resurface frequently. Can I justify going with my youngest child and not take my wife or older child?
Should I inform anyone that the Cup will be there, if, in fact it turns out to be going there?
Can I, should I keep the information to myself? I promised to cherish, honor, love, obey and be truthful to my wife when we were wed. Keeping this to myself would be like lying, but since there is no way that she would be able to make it back from work in time.... It would be cruel to tell her before she goes to work because it would be hard for her to concentrate. It would be worse to tell her afterwards, and it might be still worse to go and take pictures to show her.
The additional quandry, besides the possibility of destroying my marriage, is do I take the younger child who wants to be a NHL player (please Sabres draft him in 13 years). Fearing that he might Touch the Cup or be photographed with it? I mean how will I feel if my childs team never wins the Cup because @ age 5 he had the chance to see and touch it??? I just don't know.
Now there is a slim chance that if he appears they might throw him in the promo but.....
you know that's really secondary right!?!?!?!????
My wife will read this. Hopefully not before she goes to work and hopefully not on the train on the way in. Forgive me huny I love you but I am confused.

this will have to work itself out in about 7 hours.
G'night all.

UPDATE: Received word early Friday AM that it was a replica Stanley Cup. Chances were good that IT could have shown up since the Cup doesn't have to be in Edmonton until Monday at the earliest and it doesn't get jetlag.

Well that was a quandry easily solved.

UPDATE: As someone pointed out to me recently I had not yet revealed whether the Cup showed up or not. Well, it did and it did not. It was a replica, apparently not a good one if you got close to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home