27 September, 2006

I am responsible for my rose...

When Ross was inutero I started reading to him a story that I have loved very much, though it is often times difficult to understand. Since my wife has been away at a convention she has not been able to keep up her nightly reading to the children. This is a task I have taken up with some enthusiasm and since I found The Little Prince again I decided to read this to them.
Granted a 5 year old may not have a great understanding of the story but a 7 year old finds the little prince to be amusing and also the antics of the adults. I was, I must say, a bit surprised to find that Ross did not see that elephant inside the boa constrictor and yet Lars was a bit more receptive to the idea. Both agreed that it might look like a hat but it could be other things, like a squashy gray rock. In 3 nights we have covered 71 pages and it has made me very happy.
Tonight we read from Asteroid 326 to Earth, past the snake, the roses and ended with the fox.
I wanted to share this:

..."' And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. ...
It is the time you have wasted for you rose that makes your rose so important. ...
Men have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. You are responsible for your rose . . . " '" ...

With that I closed the book. Ross, who was still awake, looked at me and said "'AAhhhh why do I have to go to sleep. '" YAWN
I replied, "Because I am responsilbe for my rose."
"No." said Ross sleepily, "you are responsilbe for me."
"Yes," I said, "I am responsible for my rose and the other one that is already asleep."
"ahh dad.."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home